Morris Wheeler Churchill is an accountancy firm with over thirty-five years’ experience in representing clients in their tax affairs. One area of taxation that has grown in the past few years is that related to tax investigations. These investigations launched by HMRC are dedicated to establishing the correct amounts of tax due. Sometimes errors may be discovered and at other times HMRC may decide the loss of tax is deliberate.
These investigations begin in many ways, via third party information, via the patterns of VAT returns changing or to see if past bad behaviour has continued. The reasons are many, as are the types of investigation. It can be a compliance check, a full tax investigation or a fraud investigation undertaken under one of the Code of Practice 8 or Code of Practice 9. It will depend on how serious HMRC believe the matter to be.
At Morris Wheeler Churchill we have highly experienced and well-regarded ex- HMRC staff and Chartered Tax Advisers to assist you in dealing with an HMRC investigation. Together they have over one hundred years of experience dealing with all the following types of investigation:
- Compliance checks
- Direct tax investigations
- VAT investigations
- Fraud investigations, criminal, COP 9 or COP 8.
- We can disclose income never declared, income covered by the Worldwide Disclosure facility and undeclared income covered by HMRC’s Let Property Campaign
- We can represent you at meetings with HMRC
- We can use all the tools of dispute resolution to bring your matter to an end, such as Alternative Dispute Resolution, appealing to the Tax Tribunal and if necessary, the higher courts.
If you are under an HMRC tax investigation and would like to have a free consultation to speak to a tax investigation specialist, call us on 01279 464400 to speak to a tax adviser.